Indoor Plasma Lighting Case Study
Location: Saint Francis High School, Mountain View, CA
Application: Indoor Gymnasium (retrofit)
Saint Francis High School required better lighting for their gymnasium, but also wanted to reduce their environmental footprint. The existing 400W metal halide lighting gave the facility a poorly illuminated appearance and was costly to operate and maintain. The school’s Facilities Director wanted the gym (which operated 15 hours/day) to be an attractive venue for its teams and decided an LEP solution would address all of the school’s needs.
Solution: H400 highbay luminaire (using STA-41-02 LEP system, 280W) to replace 470W Metal-Halide highbay.
- Reduced annual energy and maintenance costs by 45% (savings of $177 per fixture annually, 3.4 year simple payback on retrofit)
- Improved footcandle (lux) levels compared to previous 400W metal halide lamps
- Improved CRI from 65 to 95 providing improved visual acuity and appearance
- Ease of retrofit; able to swap out each luminaire in 15 minutes
- Eliminated ballast noise
- Reduced environmental footprint; installing LEP luminaires amounts to removing 26 tons of CO2 from the atmosphere (same amount sequestered by 5 acres of pine forest)